PEDIATRIC WELLNESS COMMITTEE
American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians
Chair: Nancy Monaghan Beery, DO, FACOP
Advocacy – for organizations
- ACOP – partner with action oriented organizations that focus on evidenced based prevention and treatment of childhood obesity.
- NICHQ – National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality; i.e. network with Childhood Obesity Action Network (COAN); “sharing and using of best practices in assessment, prevention and treatment of childhood obesity.
- Action for Healthy Kids (ACHK) – a nonprofit volunteer network working with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity in children and youth.
Education – for physicians
- ACOP – provides information and tools for practitioners to help identify patients who are overweight and obese and recommend evidence based best practice tools.
- Free Nutrition CD for Physicians
- 5-2-1-0 Wellness Campaign Prescription Pad
- Expert Committee Recommendations on the Assessment, Prevention and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obese – 2007
- Child and Teen BMI Calculator
- www.letsmove.gov – A website for physicians to join the childhood obesity initiative – sponsored by Alliance for Healthier Generation.
- New dietary guidelines for Americans 2010
Education – for families
- ACOP – Support and promote family centered treatment
- www.KidsEatRight.org – A website for scientifically-based health and nutrition information you can trust to help your child grow healthy. As a parent or caretaker you need reliable resources and you can find them here, backed by the expertise of nutrition professionals